Starz put up the official trailer for Spartacus: Vengeance and this requires an immediate analysis.
- Lucretia is alive?! I mean I suppose you didn’t really see her die at the end of Spartacus: Blood and Sand but that was not exactly a flesh wound! She looks a bit manic and bedraggled in the trailer so I am assuming she’s now going turn into a crazy revenge-seeking harpy ala Catelyn Stark/Lady Stoneheart. I wonder if she’ll try blackmail Illythia again to get her way. Illythia certainly did not look like a happy camper when she saw Lucretia…
- The new Spartacus looks like he’ll fit right in! In most of the scenes, he bore such a strong resemblance to Andy and he seems to have Andy’s speech patterns and body language (and the 6 pack) down pat. He’s certainly mastered the withering look that we all know and love.
- More Romans! I’ve almost totally forgot about all the previous non-Capuan Roman characters so I got a bit startled when Legatus Douchebag (Glaber) made an appearance in the trailer. I can’t wait for Spartacus to cut that smug little look off Glaber’s face this season. I will make that scene in a GIF.
- There is a lot of blood and fighting in this trailer (how unusual for Spartacus, I know) but its important to note that is mostly outside of the arena. We haven’t properly seen any battle scenes since Spartacus’ capture in season one and I really look forward to seeing the gladiators take on the Romans. I hope there will be enough room in the budget for at least one massive battle scene. Historically, the slaves hang out in the mountains of Sicily for a while, coming down to loot and occasionally fight some Romans and I think that would make for some good TV.
- GANNICUS! He’s in the trailer. Go to 1:23! HE’S THERE!!! Someone get me a paper bag because I am getting overly excited about this, but can you really blame me? Gannicus is awesome and I was really hoping he would be back for some “Vengeance” (I crack myself up). I am also curious to see what will happen with the character of Gannicus this season. Will he get along with Spartacus? During the eventual Crixus/Spartacus army split, whose side will he choose? Gannicus is a pretty vague figure in history so I’m excited to see what crazy plot line the writers come up for him!
- Why is Oenomaus being whipped? Is this a scene from a previous season? I think I would remember if that happened, if you haven’t noticed I’m pretty obsessed with this show. I don’t even have any explanations for this but I suppose the creators of this trailer but that scene in deliberately to pique my interest. Cold-hearted bastards, I won’t be getting any answers till JANUARY!
Well that’s about all my crazy Spartacus-hungry brain can come up with but all I can say is that this season looks like it will be a wild ride! Also, though Liam aka the new Spartacus looks like he is gonna be a total boss, let’s not forget to spare some thoughts and prayers for Andy’s recovery. He’ll always be Spartacus in my heart.